Saturday, December 21, 2013

     Respect Those Who Feed You -- Our  Farmers!

                 


              Check out this one-minute look at some modern tractors working it                                                               click here-> Tandem Tractors

And then find a look at some old time steam machines working it further down -- wow -- how far we've come!
 
The Story
As a kid growing up on the south side of Chicago back in the 1960's I remember being predisposed, for whatever reason, to making fun of farmers as being dopey and slow. 

I don't know where it ever came from because I didn't know any farmers then, probably because I was only ten years old, but I do remember the mind set existing with me. And all I can say about it is that I was a dopey kid from the city that didn't know nuthin' about nuthin' from nuthin', and I'm trying to do better now as a grown up.

Although there is some hazy memory of being at a farm southwest of the Chicago city limits where we would occasionally visit as a family for some reason and one thing I do remember is that, on one visit, a couple of farm kids told me that I absolutely had to pee in a particular spot and I did, up to the point that the electric fence taught me to be more careful about all of that in the future, and to this day, I am. 

Maybe that's where my young, uninformed predisposition against farmers came from, but no matter.

Fast forward to now and boy, how things have changed for farming and all of us.

Farmers have become some of the most technologically advanced professionals in our society. Witness the tractors in the clip above, a couple of John Deere 9220's working a field in Wisconsin getting it ready for Spring planting.

Then here's some footage from the Rock River Thresheree held every Labor Day weekend in Edgerton, Wisconsin, where  steam powered machinery makes it happen and gives us a glimpse into the ways of how land was worked in the 1800's and early 1900's prior to gas and diesel engines. 
   

Technology on all levels, fun to witness.

More later on it all, thanks for clicking in -- and Merry Christmas.  


 
 

 
  
 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your comments regarding the blog and of course, the basic rules of commenting behavior apply.